Good job collective noun people! There are even good alternates like pod, thunder and raft. I have had good luck with hippo photography and I’ve put a few in this gallery, but there are quite a few more in my portfolio…HERE.
I’ve been charged a couple of times by these guys and it is not fun. They are quite ill tempered and don’t tolerate intrusion into their territory and with a big male weighing as much as 9000 lbs (4500 kg) and having a 4 ft (1.2m) bite and a tooth that can reach 3 ft (1 m) who would want to bother them?
In case you were curious:
- The name comes from 2 Greek words that mean “river horse”.
- Male hippos will attack young hippos in the water, but not on land.
- An adult hippopotamus can stay submerged for 5 to 6 minutes
- A baby hippo can eat grass in 3 weeks, but nurses for a year.
- A hippopotamus can eat 100 to 150 pounds of grass in a night.
- They are the 3rd largest land animal
I did not have GPS capability when I made these images and so their exact area is not shown on the map, but you get the idea. If you are familiar with Moremi, these were all taken near Third Bridge.[xmlgm ngg_gallery=60]